June 6, 2009

Police Truck


Various Artists
Virus 100
1992

As of this writing, Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles has released over 400 albums, constantly skewing to the weird. Admittedly, I don't like a lot of what they release, but boy do I appreciate their presence and voice in the underground music world. Over the years, a ton of really cool stuff has come out bearing their (admittedly awesome) logo. But back in 1992, they reached the milestone of their 100th release. And what better way to celebrate it than to make it a tribute album to the band that started it all, Dead Kennedys.

As with most tribute records, this one is incredibly hit or miss. Stylistically it runs from punk, grindcore, and metal to rockabilly and hip-hop. Some interpretations are by-the-numbers, while some use the original only as a jump-off to something wholly original. I won't bother pointing out the ones I think blow cod, but I will point out the great stuff here: Didjits' "Police Truck" is fuggin' awesome, and only goes to solidify how criminally underrated they are. Les Thugs' "Moon Over Marin" is a fantastic super-melodic interpretation of one of DK's poppier (at least musically) tracks. Both Napalm Death and Sepultura throw down some seriously intense punk/grind/metal shit. And Nomeansno's a capella version of "Forward to Death" is borderline genius. Oh oh and Mojo Nixon's "Winnebago Warrior" is great too. Aaaand Faith No More's lounge interpretation of "Let's Lynch the Landlord".

Ok cool you know just dl and listen and delete the tracks you don't like or whatever.
Virus 100

3 comments:

PANKERIJADA said...

new on blog

http://pankerijada.blogspot.com/

James Joyce said...

Hey Cory - thanks for posting this. I never had this comp when I was younger and the Didjits were my favorite band. I'm not sure if you saw it, but I posted all of the obscure Didjits material on my blog as the 50th post, except for this song. They were unbelievable, and was the main reason I went to that Touch and Go fest a few years ago. Hope everything is going well with you.

cdb said...

Yeah, I did see that post James, and it's great. Your story about auditioning for them is really incredible.