November 28, 2008

Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio



Alice Cooper
Pretties for You
1969

If all you know of Alice Cooper is "School's Out", "I'm Eighteen", and "Hey Stoopid", then do yourself a favor and check out this record. This is the group's debut from 1969, originally released on Frank Zappa's Straight Records. It's a bizarre mix of psychedelic garage rock, warped Beatles-esque harmonies, and dark, theatrical schlock. "Reflected" was eventually rewritten as "Elected" on 1973's Billion Dollar Babies, but the rest of this is barely recognizable as the same band. Pretties for You and their sophomore release, Easy Action (which I'll post some other time), were out of print for years, and when they were finally re-released in the late 80s, I was excited to hear them. Boy, I was downright confused. Then again I was rocking "(He's Back) The Man Behind the Mask" around that time.

Pretties for You

No comments: